Thursday, January 25, 2007

Brrrrr!!

Winter has arrived in Virginia, and... SHEESH... is it ever cold. Poor Stevie Kate had to wear her hat over them puppy ears! She really isn't as dopey as she looks; she's actually a very smart girl. I worked at the shop today, and we received a huge shipment of books! Ahh, the candy store for knitters. Better than fudge. And this coming from a hopeless sugar addict.

And so I realize now that I have a dilemma. I have no hat. Can ANY knitter actually admit to this? I've never been much of a hat person. I've just never been one for shoving a mound of hair into a hat and feeling comfortable. But I'm ready to warm up the temples a bit. Here is the problem: I have a pattern...but no yarn committment. Let me start by giving you some options with my current winter wear.

I have this set I just finished. I actually had the
scarf since my birthday in November, my
Debbie Bliss "Insanity Scarf" with chunky
cashmerino. I made the fingerless mitts last week, and I must say they are TONS warmer than I ever imagined...PLUS you can drink hot coffee and not suddenly turn into a puffy-fingered, clumbsy baffoon and knock a Mill Mountain Latte all over your lap. I test-drove these out last Friday with my great friend, Tiff, and they worked like a charm. And a dry lap is a definite plus. So for everyone out there wanting warm hands with fully-functioning fingers...what a great choice!
I'm wandering...okay...onward through the fog...

I've also started knitting these Kathmandu cabled mittens, which is a fantasic yarn to work with on any project. The fair isle hat pattern is Vinter Lue by designer Theresa Vinson Stenersen, found here at Knitty. Let me know what you think. And if I do the Kathmandu, what contrasting color would you use?? Or do we throw up our hands and say, "Jeez, let's do TWO hats!"
I'm going to try to update my blog every two to three days, as time permits. I'm taking a quick hiatus from my writing jobs for about two weeks to spend time with my awesome in-laws. They arrive from Florida tomorrow. Perhaps I'll get some knitting done as well...it's not been a productive knitting week, I must say.

Big sloppy kisses to all my friends! Toodles!


3 comments:

"Meems" said...

I think that hat would look really good with that color katmandu,and maybe a cream contrast. The bigger the contrast the better. I thought green... but it wouldnt be a big contrast. I am so proud of you for your work on your mittens and your ambition to knit hats!!

MIMI

Vouray said...

Blog looks great! Your dawg is adorable, huggable and kissable! Have fun with the out-laws!

Loren said...

I'm not sure the cold weather will last! It's supposed to be 50 degrees tomorrow. Sorry Gina. I'm so glad we all have blogs! Though have you noticed that most of the comments are between the four of us?